Since the fall weather has arrived I’ve really been craving warm and filling meals. There’s something about comfort food that really warms your belly and soul! Don’t you agree? This Cheesy Potato and Sausage Bake is a favorite in my house. My husband loves it and it’s one of those meals he calls “rib stickin” meals. I think that’s man speak for filling I love because it’s delicious and affordable. And it also can be prepared in the morning, and tossed in the oven 30 minutes before dinner. Which is perfect for that dinner time rush that we’ve got going on over here.
I headed to Vons to grab some ingredients for this week’s menu and got a smokin’ deal at Vons with their Just for U program. I was able to buy 3 Hillshire Farm products and saved $3.00. Perfect to stock up for those fall comfort meals! Alright, grab your Hillshire Farm sausage and potatoes and get ready for this cheesy goodness!
- 4-5 medium potatoes, peeled and boiled
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 8 oz sharp cheddar cheese, cubed
- ½ cup sour cream
- 8 oz sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 Hillshire Farm smoked sausage rope (I used turkey sausage)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- After boiled potatoes have cooled cut into cubes and set aside.
- Cut sausage link into ½ in. slices then cut in half. Toss into skillet at medium heat and allow to cook for about 10 -15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a sauce pan over medium high heat. Add in flour and whisk constantly. Add in milk, still whisking constantly. Turn heat down to low, and add in 8 oz of cubed cheese. Whisk periodically until cheese is completed melted. Remove from heat, stir in sour cream, salt, and pepper.
- Add sausage, and potatoes to casserole dish and quickly toss.
- Poor cheese sauce over top and lightly stir.
- Add shredded cheese over top.
- Bake in preheated over for 35 minutes.
I’d love to hear, what’s your favorite comfort food meal?