Accent walls are a popular way to add a pop of color or texture to a room in home. Often times the television becomes the focal point of a living room or other space due to its size and orientation in the room. Most people (myself included) have tried to hide or minimize their eyesore of a television in their home. What if there was another way? Instead of trying to hide your television you highlight it by creating a tv accent wall.
A TV accent wall is a wall in a room that is used to mount a television and is decorated or finished in a way that makes it stand out from the other walls in the room. This can create a focal point in the room and draw attention to the television, making it the centerpiece of the space. Whether you’re watching movies, streaming shows, or playing video games, an accent wall behind your television can really elevate the overall look and feel of the room.
How to Choose an Accent Wall
Selecting an accent wall can be a fun and exciting process, but it’s important to keep a few key things in mind in order to make sure the wall you choose complements the overall style of your room and over home decor.
- Consider the size of the room. If your room is on the smaller side, a bold or bright accent wall might overwhelm your space. In this case, a more subtle accent wall, such as one painted in a neutral paint color with a slight small pattern or texture, would be a better choice. On the other hand, if you have a larger room, a bold accent wall can add drama and make the space feel more homey and intimate.
- Think about the function of the room. Creating an accent wall in your living room and putting the television on another may make it seem like there are two accent walls which can be confusing.
- Take into account the existing colors of the room. An accent wall should complement the existing colors of the room, not clash with them. For example, if you have a neutral-colored room, a bold accent wall in a bright color would be a great choice. If the room already has a lot of color, a neutral paint colored accent wall might be a better option.
- Consider the lighting of the room. The lighting in a room greatly impacts the way a paint color or wall treatment looks and appears. A wall that looks great in natural light might not look as good under certain artificial lights, and vice versa.
- Think about the style of the room. An accent wall should complement the overall style of your room. As an example, a rustic wood accent wall would be a great choice for a farmhouse-style room, while a sleek, modern accent wall or a simple board and batten wall would be a good choice for a contemporary space.
- Consider the wall placement. An accent wall can be any wall in the room, but it’s often best to choose the wall that is most visible or the wall you want to draw attention to. You typically want to avoid using a wall as an accent wall if it has windows, doors or some odd architectural feature.
Once you’ve considered all of these factors, you can start to pin down your accent wall options and choose the perfect accent wall for your space. Remember that above all an accent wall should be a reflection of your personal style and personality.
TV Accent Wall Ideas
Check out these examples below for some inspiration to use in your very own home.
A wood slat accent wall is a unique and stylish way to add texture and warmth to you living room. This type of accent wall is created using thin pieces of wood, known as slats, that are arranged in a variety of patterns to create a visually interesting wall. Adding a television to this accent wall only highlights the natural look of the wood.
Here are a few things to consider when creating a wood slat accent wall:
- Choose the right wood. The type of wood you choose for your accent wall behind tv will greatly affect the look of your wall. For a rustic, natural look, consider using reclaimed wood or pallet wood. If you want a more modern look, use clean, smooth slats of wood in a light or neutral color.
- Decide on the pattern. Wood slat accent walls can be arranged in a variety of patterns, from horizontal to vertical, diagonal, or even a herringbone pattern.
- Consider the size of the slats and the spacing between them. The size of the slats you choose can also affect the overall look of the accent wall. Large slats will create a more dramatic and bold look, while smaller slats will create a more delicate and subtle look.
Board and Batten TV Accent Wall
Board and batten is a popular way to introduce an accent wall into your home. This type of accent wall is created by installing thin wood boards and then adding in a decorative design. TV accent walls made with board and batten are a great way to add texture and interest to your space. A board and batten accent wall behind your TV is a great way to elevate your living room design.
Using rustic wood is a classic way to add character and charm to your living room. This example can be created using a variety of materials, from reclaimed wood to pallet wood or even live edge logs and wood. Adding a television to this accent wall will draw attention to the natural beauty of the wood, creating an eye-catching focal point in your space.
Painted Wood Plank Accent Wall
A painted wood plank accent wall is a great way to add an elegant, yet rustic touch to your living room. This example is created by installing thin boards of wood in a vertical pattern and then painting them in your desired paint color. TV accent walls made with painted wood planks can be used to create a modern or traditional look, depending on the paint color and design that you choose.
Wallpaper TV accent walls are a great way to add color, texture and interest to your living room or TV room. This example can be created using removable wallpaper, or you can opt for traditional wallpaper if you don’t mind the extra installation and removal steps. Wallpaper TV accent walls are perfect for creating a bold statement in your space and they come in a variety of colors, designs, textures, and prints.
For tips and trick on How to Make any Wallpaper Removable Wallpaper click over to my how to.
This living room accent wall is a great way to create a clean and understated wall. The white paint color coupled with the wood trim makes it stand out in this space without being too much and being distracted. This example is simple enough to DIY over a weekend.
Stone or Brick TV Accent Wall
Natural Stone walls are a great way to add natural elements and warmth to your room. This type of accent wall behind a television can be created using either bricks, real stone or faux stone panels, depending on your budget and design choices. This idea for an accent wall made with natural stones are perfect for creating an earthy, natural and rustic look and feel in your space.
Bold TV accent walls are a great way to add some personality and energy to your living room. This look is created by using bold colors such as bright reds, yellows or blues. Accent walls made with bold colors can really bring life and vibrancy into your space and truly make your accent wall stand out and make a statement.
This example shows a great way to add extra storage and display space to your living room. The open shelves are perfect for creating an organized and stylish look that can easily be adjusted as your storage needs change. The black paint of these shelves is the perfect color choice for this accent wall. The shelves really provide that pop against the white walls and light wood flooring that you want in an accent wall. The additional storage space and bookshelves are perfect for displaying photos, artwork and family photos.
Fireplace with Shelving
This just might be my favorite of all the ideas discussed here. I love the dark color against the white painted shiplap and natural wood shelves. The greenery added to the shelves adds a touch of bright color and makes for the perfect accent wall. The mounted television adds a pop of color against the bright white paint and takes this accent wall to the next level.
TV Accent Walls Conclusion
If after reading this post nothing truly speaks to you check out my other posts on accent wall ideas. Gray accent walls, green accent walls, black accent walls and wood paneling accent walls. You are certain to find something that inspires you to get started on your accent wall project.
In closing, TV accent walls are the perfect option to add character and style to your living room, TV room, bedroom or any other room. With so many options available, there’s something for everyone! Whether you choose to use classic rustic wood, painted wood planks, wallpaper, wood paneling, stone or brick, bold colors or shelving – the possibilities are virtually endless. The right choice for you will depend on your tastes and goals for the space. So take some time to explore all of the ideas and decide which one is best to make your home truly unique! Hopefully you gained some inspiration from these design tips and get started today.