Calling all moms of picky eaters. Pin this recipe right this instant because your kids will love you and you’ll feel confident giving them this snack! I remember when Peighton was a baby she would eat anything. I mean anything. Over the years, especially since starting school, she started eating fewer and fewer healthy foods and it drives me batty. I’m thankful that she still has several veggies she enjoys but fruit is another story. Bananas? Nope. Strawberries? Maybe a nibble. Grapes? Forget it. So… when it comes to healthy treats, these chocolate chip zucchini muffins fit the bill. She completely loves them and I feel good about my girls eating them.
Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffins
One thing I love about these chocolate chip zucchini muffins is that the recipe is really adjustable. I sometimes use a mashed banana and sometimes I use applesauce. I also play with the type of flour I use. I almost always use whole wheat but sometimes I’ll use half whole wheat and half all-purpose. One thing always stays the same – the zucchini and the chocolate chips 😉
I always make them into mini muffins for my girls. They love anything miniature and it’s the perfect size for a light snack. I use them as treats in their lunches or give them one or two after school for a snack.
To store these chocolate chip zucchini muffins, I keep them in a gallon freezer bag in my freezer. I’ll pull them out and put them in their lunch boxes and by the time they’re ready to eat them they are perfectly thawed. If they want one right away, I will nuke them in the microwave for 15-20 seconds.
Look at those happy girls! If you try this recipe, I hope you’ll let me know your thoughts on it in the comments!
- 1 cup
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1-1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 1 medium mashed banana
- 1-1/2 cups shredded zucchini
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and spray a mini muffin pan with cooking spray.
- Mix together flour, sugar, baking soda, chocolate chips and salt in a medium bowl.
- In a large bowl, combine zucchini, the mashed banana, melted butter, egg, and vanilla. Add flour 4. mixture to the zucchini mixture and stir just until combined.
- Using a cookie scoop or a tablespoon, fill the mini muffin pan and bake for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes then transfer the muffins to a cooling rack until completely cool.
- *note - if the mixtures seems a bit dry (depending on the size of your banana) you can add in a tablespoon or two of water, milk, or almond milk.